Watch- May 20, 2020
Scripture: Ephesians 1:5-6
NOTE: Today's WATCH content contains discussions of family dynamics including adoption and foster care. The material is intended to honor the complexity of all families. However, we recognize that may not have space or energy to process the feelings or thoughts that this may bring up.
Watch the video below. An adoptive father and an adopted son go back and forth asking one another a series of questions. One of the questions that the son asks his father is: "Why do you love me?" The father gushes and stumbles a bit over his words. In between grinning, he says a series of similar phrases, "I just love." "I can't get enough of you." "I love everything about you." What would happen if this very day God took human form and the two of you sat down facing each other and you began to ask one another questions? What if you asked God, "Why do you love me?" There is no doubt that God would respond the same way as the father in the video. The only difference is that God would be infinitely more joyful and exuberant. God loves you. God can't get enough of you. God loves everything about you. God chose you to be a part of God's family.
After watching the video, have a conversation with someone in the family you were born into or someone you are close to that you consider a part of your chosen family (like a friend or person from church.) Go back and forth asking one another all or any series of the following questions:
- What is a talent or gift of mine that I don't fully recognize?
- What is your biggest dream and how can I help you achieve it?
- What has been our biggest misunderstanding and how can we work to make it better or to do better in the future?
- What scares you the most right now?
- What is the pain in me you wish you could heal?
- What is one experience you wish we will have together in the future?